Professor Kathryn Lilley
Kathryn Lilley is a Professor in the Department of Biochemistry and a member of the Milner Therapeutics Institute. She is also Director of the Cambridge Centre for Proteomics, and a Director of Studies at Jesus College.
Kathryn Lilley's research specialises in the development of cutting edge proteomics technologies. Her research group is exploring ways to:
- Define residents of organelles and protein complexes within cells
- Use a combination of high throughput mass spectrometry and pattern recognition methods to define genuine residents of complexes and organelles
- Monitor concerted changes in location upon cellular perturbation such as drug treatment, mutation etc.
These methods are being used to locate proteins involved in stem cell pluripotency maintenance both in terms of sub cellular location and involvement in multi protein complexes.
She is also interested in what controls the location of proteins in cells and is developing methods to determine the spatial location of translation (where proteins are synthesised).
- BSc, Sheffield.
- PhD, Sheffield.
Awards and prizes
- Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator Award 2015.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Biologists.
- The European Proteomics (EuPA) Juan Pablo Albar Proteomics Pioneer prize 2017.
- Human Proteomics Organisation (HUPO) 2018 Award for Distinguished Achievement in Proteomic Sciences.
Kathryn was born in the former coal mining town of Mansfield, in Nottinghamshire, the geographical centre of Sherwood Forest.
Kathryn is a keen singer and has taken part in many amateur operatic productions. She is also interested in music history, especially Russian nationalist music.
Publications, links and resources
Selected recent publications
- Mulvey, C.M., Schröter, C., Gatto, L., Dikicioglu, D., Fidaner, I.B., Christoforou, A., Deery, M.J., Cho, L.T., Niakan, K.K., Martinez-Arias, A., Lilley, K.S. (2015) Dynamic proteomic profiling of extra-embryonic endoderm differentiation in mouse embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 33(9):2712-25.
- Rees, J.S., Li X.W., Perrett S, Lilley K.S., Jackson A.P. (2015) Protein Neighbours and Proximity Proteomics. Mol Cell Proteomics. 14(11):2848-56.
- Christoforou, A., Mulvey, C.M., Breckels, L.M. , Geladaki, A., Hurrell, T., Hayward, P.C., Naake, T., Gatto, L., Viner, R., Martinez Arias, A and Lilley, K.S. (2016) A draft map of the mouse pluripotent stem cell spatial proteome Nature Communications 12;7:9992. doi: 10.1038/ncomms9992.