Image of Students


We can support you through times when you may need advice, when you are unhappy or uncertain, and when you need academic guidance from outside your department or faculty.

A range of welfare support is offered by the College, the Middle Combination Room (MCR), the Graduate UnionCambridge University Students’ Union (CUSU), the University, and other sources.

You can find out more about support available on the College intranet JNet.

Graduate tutors

We have a Graduate Tutor, a Deputy Graduate Tutor and an Assistant Graduate Tutor who work as part of the overall Tutorial team within the College.  Their role is to select, maintain, and support an active and vibrant postgraduate community.

They act on behalf of our postgraduates, from attending College committees to submitting appeals and allowances. Our Graduate Tutor holds an open tutorial hour most Wednesday evenings from 6pm to 7pm, or you can make an appointment to see them at other times. 

Welfare tutors

Our Welfare tutors (formerly Tutorial Advisers) are available 24 hours a day to listen to all postgraduates and to offer help with any problems that aren't purely academic or administrative.

You can contact any of them directly through either their daily drop in sessions or through the College porters. The Welfare tutors will treat any information you give them in complete confidence, only passing information to others where necessary with your permission.

College counselling service

The College also has regular visits and sessions arranged with a professional counsellor who can help with all types of counselling services and can signpost to a wide variety of University services.

College nurse

During term time the College nurse works in the Health Centre in Library Court, offering medical and general welfare advice and support: 

  • Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9.30am to 12.30pm
  • Tuesday, Thursday 12.30pm to 3.00pm

College Chaplain

Our College Chaplain is available to all members of College, regardless of faith or belief. You can speak to the Chaplain about any concern, whether social, spiritual, financial, or academic. They'll be able to help you find further appropriate support.

If you would like to speak to someone urgently, please call the Porters' Lodge on +44 (0)1223 339339.

Hear from our students