Dr Rod Mengham
Rod Mengham is Reader in Modern English at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of Jesus College.
Rod Mengham's academic interests include:
- 19th and 20th century English literature, especially Dickens
- The 1930s and the 1940s
- Contemporary fiction and poetry.
- MA, Cantab.
- PhD, Edinburgh.
Rod Mengham is the author and editor of books on 19th and 20th century fiction, 20th century poetry, violence and avant garde art, and language and cultural history.
He's also editor of the Equipage series of poetry pamphlets, and joint editor and translator of Altered State: the New Polish Poetry. His own poems have been published under the titles Unsung: New and Selected Poems (Salt, 2001) and Parleys and Skirmishes (Ars Cameralis, 2007).
In the last 15 years, he has published numerous art critical essays and has also worked as a freelance curator. Most recently he curated Jake and Dinos Chapman's work in an exhibition called 'In the Realm of the Senseless' in Katowice, Poland from November 2010 to January 2011.
Contemporary art, landscape archaeology, islands.
Publications, links and resources
- Mengham, R. (2011) Bad teeth: British Social Realism in Fiction. In: D. Tucker, ed, British Social Realism in the Arts since 1940. London: Palgrave, pp 81-102.
- Mengham, R. (2009) "A Free hand to Refuse Everything": Politics and Intricacy in the Work of J.H.Prynne. In: I. Brinton, ed, A Manner of Utterance: The Poetry of J.H.Prynne. Bristol: Shearsman, pp 69-82.
- Mengham, R. and Gilmartin, S. (2007) Thomas Hardy's Shorter Fiction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Mengham, R. (2006) Fiction's History: Adam Thorpe. In: R. Mengham and P. Tew, eds, British Fiction Today. London: Continuum, pp 177-185.
- Mengham, R. and Kinsella, J. eds, (2004) Vanishing Points: New Modernist Poems. Norwich: Salt.
- Mengham, R., Pioro, T., Szymor, P. eds, (2003) Altered State: the New Polish Poetry. Todmorden: Arc Publications.
- Mengham, R. (2002) The Writing of Iain Sinclair. In: R. Lane, R. Mengham, and P. Tew, eds, Contemporary British Fiction. London: Polity Press, pp 56-67.
- Mengham, R. (2001) Charles Dickens (Writers and their Work series) Tavistock: Northcote House.
- Mengham, R. (2001) Broken Glass. In: R. Mengham and N. Reeve, eds, The Fiction of the 1940s: Stories of Survival. London: Palgrave, pp 124-133.
- Mengham, R. (2001) Unsung: New and Selected Poems (second edition) Norwich: Salt.
- Mengham, R. (1999) 1973 The End of History: Cultural Change According to Muriel Spark. In: R. Mengham, ed, An Introduction to Contemporary Fiction: International Writing in English since 1970. Cambridge: Polity Press, pp 123-134.
- Mengham, R. (1983) The Idiom of the Time: the Writings of Henry Green, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.