WPP - China Centre event: Interacting with China in a complex world
On Tuesday 17 November 2020 the second WPP - China Centre, Jesus College China forum was held. The virtual event addressed the topic 'Interacting with China in a complex world'. Over 200 people joined the event, with a broad range of backgrounds including academia, government and business.
WPP presented a vivid film on the transformation of the Chinese consumer and the development of China's leading brands. The film was presented by Mr David Roth, CEO The Store WPP, Chairman BrandZ and BAV Group, Global.
The main body of the seminar consisted of a panel discussion chaired by Professor Peter Nolan, Director of the China Centre, Jesus College. The panel comprised:
- Lord Jim O'Neill (Chair, Chatham House; Vice Chair, The Northern Powerhouse Partnership; former Commercial Secretary to the Treasury, HMG)
- Professor Peter Littlewood (former Director, US Department of Energy Argonne National Laboratory; Professor of Physics, University of Chicago)
- Dr Jin Zhang (Deputy Director, China Centre, Jesus College Cambridge; University lecturer, University of Cambridge)
- Rt Hon Sir Oliver Letwin (Director, Peaceful Co-existence Project; former Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and former Minister for Government Policy, HMG)
- Lord Adair Turner (Chair, Energy Transitions Committee; Senior Fellow and former Chair, Institute for New Economic Thinking; former Chair, UK Financial Services Authority)
Questions were submitted to the panellists on a wide array of topics, including the covid-19 pandemic, climate change, fundamental scientific research, human rights, and financial system stability.