Jesus College Choir Composition Competition 2021
The Choir of Jesus College the second annual competition for young composers, offering a prize of £500 and a premiere performance by the Choir.
Open to anybody born on or after 1st January 1996, entrants should submit unperformed, original pieces which will be judged by the College’s Director of Music, Richard Pinel, and composer Ghislaine Reece-Trapp.
The annual prize has been created thanks to the generosity of former Choral Scholar Max Hadfield. Richard Pinel, Director of Music, said: “Following the success of our inaugural Composition Competition, we are delighted to continue to champion the creativity of young composers within the ancient but living and breathing choral tradition.”
There is a prize of £500, and this year a first performance at an Evensong in Michaelmas Term 2021 by the College Choir.
- This year composers are required to set the text (below) from Psalm 98.
- The work should be scored for an SATB choir (with divisi up to SSAATTBB permitted, bearing in mind the rehearsal time available to a busy collegiate choir), with organ accompaniment in the form of a modern ‘verse anthem’.
- The piece should last for no more than 6 minutes, when taken at the metronome mark at the head of the score.
Sing unto the Lord a new song. Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all the earth. Sing unto the lord with the harp and the voice of a psalm. With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the Lord our King. Let the sea roar and the fulness thereof; the world and they that dwell therein. Let the floods clap their hands: let the hills be joyful together before the Lord. For he cometh to judge the earth; with righteousness shall he judge the world, and the people with equity. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost: As is was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.
- The score, which must be printed, should contain no identifying marks of the composer. It should be accompanied by a sealed envelope containing the identity, and contact details, of the composer.
- The competition is open to anybody born on or after 1st January 1996.
- Applications should be sent by post to Ms Alice Kane, Jesus College, Jesus Lane, Cambridge CB5 8BL.
- The envelope should be marked ‘Composition Competition’.
- The deadline for submissions is Monday 4th October and the winner will be notified by Monday 18th October.
Terms and conditions
- Submitted pieces should be as yet unperformed and be the original work of the composer.
- The compositions will be judged by a panel including Richard Pinel (Director of Music, Jesus College) and Ghislaine Reece-Trapp (composer, organist and teacher).
- The panel reserve the right to not award any prize and their decision is final in all matters.
- Copyright of the music remain with the composer on the following conditions:
- Jesus College Choir retain the right of first performance of the winning entry until July 31st 2022
- Jesus College Choir retain the right of first recording of the winning entry until July 31st 2027
- Composers may only submit one entry.
- There is no entry fee.
- Entries are sent at the composers’ own risk, and we cannot return any material submitted.