The China Forum organises seminars and dialogues focusing on mutual understanding.
The events cover a wide range of topics, from the modern history of China to the latest developments in climate change.
If you have any questions about an event or have any access needs, please contact our Administrator.
Michaelmas term 2022
Our Michaelmas term 2022 seminar programme is shown below. All times are UK times. Further details of each seminar, including booking information, will be posted here in advance of each event.
Professor Zhiyun Ouyang
- Professor and Director, Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Wednesday 12 October 2022, 12 – 1.30pm, virtual seminar
- Chair, Rio Tinto; Chair, Leapfrog Investments; former Canadian Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China; former Global Managing Partner, McKinsey & Company
- Thursday 13 October 2022, 4.30 - 6pm, virtual seminar
- China Forum round table seminar, China and India: opportunities and challenges
- Panel session chaired by Professor Peter Nolan CBE, with: Professor Shailaja Fennell (Professor of Regional Transformation and Economic Security, Department of Land Economy, and Acting Director, Centre of South Asian Studies, University of Cambridge; Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge); Professor Jayati Ghosh (Professor of Economics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst; former Professor, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi); Assistant Professor Isabella Weber (Assistant Professor of Economics and the Research Leader for China, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts, Amherst); and Dr Jin Zhang (Vice President, Center for International Knowledge on Development (CIKD), Development Research Centre of the State Council, People’s Republic of China)
- Thursday 3 November 2022, time to be confirmed, Frankopan Hall, hybrid seminar
Professor Jean Oi
- William Haas Professor of Chinese Politics, Director of Stanford China Programme, Lee Shau Kee Director of Stanford Center at Peking University, Stanford University
- Thursday 10 November 2022, 5 – 6.30pm (UK time), virtual seminar
Dr Roger Hart
- Director, Texas Southern University China Institute
- Wednesday 16 November 2022, 5 – 6.30pm (UK time), virtual seminar
Professor Dr Angela Schottenhammer
- Professor of Chinese Middle Period & Early Modern World History, KU Leuven; Selected Senior Researcher Shanghai University
- Tuesday 29 November 2022, time to be confirmed, virtual seminar
Ambassador Chas W. Freeman
- Visiting Scholar, Watson Institute for International & Public Affairs, Brown University; former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Defense; former U.S. Ambassador to Saudi Arabia; Principal American interpreter during President Nixon's visit to Beijing in 1972
- Wednesday 30 November 2022, 5 – 6.30pm (UK time), virtual seminar