Dr Vittoria Silvestri
Vittoria Silvestri is a Research Fellow in Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, working in probability theory with a focus on random growth models in discrete and continuous structures.
Vittoria Silvestri's academic interests include:
- Probability theory
- Random growth processes
- Interacting particles systems.
- BSc, La Sapienza.
- MSc, La Sapienza.
- PhD, Cantab.
Awards and prizes
- BSc Excellence Course, University of Rome La Sapienza.
- MSc Excellence Course, University of Rome La Sapienza.
- Rayleigh-Knight Prize, University of Cambridge.
Vittoria graduated in Mathematics from the University of Rome La Sapienza in 2012, when she joined the Cambridge Centre for Analysis for her doctoral studies at the University of Cambridge.
During her undergraduate years she completed the BSc and MSc Excellence Courses at La Sapienza, for which she was awarded final prizes. She further spent one academic year at the University of Birmingham within the Erasmus programme.
During her PhD studies she carried out research in pure and applied probability, with a particular focus on the analysis of mathematical models of random growth on the plane. She had her work published in leading journals, and was invited to present her results in several universities and conferences in and outside the UK.
Her postdoctoral research involves the investigation of existing and new mathematical models of random growth in discrete and continuous geometric structures, as well as the study of more general random processes aimed to obtain a rigorous mathematical description of a wide class of real life phenomena.
Publications, links and resources
- A. Faggionato, Silvestri V. (2017) Fluctuation theorems for discrete kinetic models of molecular motors. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiments, 043206.
- Faggionato, A. Silvestri, V. (2017) Random walks on quasi one dimensional lattices: large deviations and fluctuation theorems. Annales de l’Institut Henri Poincaré, Probabilités et Statistiques, 53 (1), pp 46-78.
- Silvestri, V. (2015) Fluctuation results for Hastings—Levitov planar growth. Probability Theory and Related Fields, pp 1-44.
- Faggionato, A. Silvestri, V. (2014) Discrete kinetic models for molecular motors: asymptotic velocity and gaussian fluctuations. Journal of Statistical Physics 157.(6) pp 1062-1096.