Professor Sir Bruce Ponder
Bruce Ponder is an Emeritus Fellow at Jesus College. He is a clinician and researcher into inherited susceptibility to cancer and a trustee of Cancer Research UK.
Bruce Ponder's main research interest is genetic predisposition to cancer.
- MA, MB Chir, Cantab.
- PhD, London.
Awards and prizes
- Gibb Fellow CRUK, 1990 to present.
- International Public Service Award USA neurofibromatosis association, 1992.
- Merck Prize European Thyroid Association, 1995.
- Hamilton Fairley Award European Society of Oncology, 2004.
- Bertner Award MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2007.
- US National Cancer Institute Alfred Knudson Award, 2008.
- Ambuj Nath Bose Prize, Royal College of Physicians, 2008.
- Donald Ware Waddell Award Arizona Cancer Centre, 2010.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Cancer Research UK, 2013.
Started the first clinics in the UK for familial cancers. Related laboratory work in gene discovery and the genetic epidemiology and cancer risk. Current research interests are in mechanisms of risk of breast and lung cancer.
Founding Director of:
- Strangeways Research Laboratories
- Hutchison Medical Research Council Research Centre
- Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute
- Cambridge Cancer Centre.
Bruce Ponder is also:
- A past President of the British Association for Cancer Research
- A past member of the Board of Directors, American Association for Cancer Research
- A Founding Member of the European Academy of Cancer Sciences.
Wine, photography, golf, gardening, travel.
Publications, links and resources
500 peer reviewed scientific papers.