Dr Sarah Steele FRSA, FHEA
Sarah Steele is the Coordinator of the Intellectual Forum at Jesus. She is also a Senior Research Associate, focusing on themes and problems of interest to communities across the world at the interface of public health and law.
Sarah’s academic interests include:
- Human trafficking
- Migration and health
- Public health law
- Public health criminology
- Social media and professionalism.
- DPhil, Oxon.
- PhD, Cantab.
- PGCAP, Queen Mary, University of London.
- MA, Flinders.
- LLB Hons, Flinders.
- BA, Flinders.
Sarah is the Coordinator of the Intellectual Forum, which is aimed at covering the widest range of academic interests across the College.
Sarah’s research sits at the interface of Law, Criminology, International Relations and Politics, Sociology, and Global Health. It explores how we affect social change around issues that impact upon people's wellbeing in contemporary society. Her research continues to focus on cross-border issues, including human trafficking, the trade in body products and organs, death and suicide tourism, and the growing use of social media by health and other professionals in responding to global health issues.
Having held posts at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, the University of Cambridge, and the University of Oxford, amongst other institutions in the UK, USA and Australia, Sarah is an experienced lecturer and researcher specialising in policy and public health analysis, as well as legal, qualitative, and ethnographic research.
Running, family, travel, whiskey.
Publications, links and resources
- Steele, S., Reeves, A., Stuckler, D., McKee, M., Amato-Gauci, A., and Semenza, J. (2017) National sex work policy and HIV prevalence among sex workers: an ecological regression analysis of 27 European countries Lancet HIV, in press.
- Steele, S. and Lufumpa, E. (2016) Obstetric Fistula: A Systematic Review of the preventative Interventions in Sub-Saharan Africa. African Journal of Reproductive Health, 20(3).
- Steele, S., McGee, M., Stuckler, D., and Gilmore, A. (2015) The Role of Public Law-based Litigation in Tobacco Companies Strategies in High-Income, FCTC Ratifying Countries, 2004-2014. Journal of Public Health.
- Steele, S., Martyn, J. and Foell, J. (2015) The risks of an unregulated market in human breast milk…. British Medical Journal, 350, p.h1485.
- Steele, S., Adcock, C., and Steel, A. (2015) Legal and Ethical Analysis of HEMS use of social media. Emergency Medicine Journal, DOI:10.1136/emermed-2014-204048.
- Steele, S., and Stuckler, D. (2014) Migrants, the National Health Service, and the threat of exclusion. Criminal Justice Matters. 98(1), pp.18-19.
- Steele, S., Stuckler, D., McGee, M., and Pollock, A. (2014) The Immigration Bill: Extending charging regimes and scapegoating the vulnerable will pose risks to public health. Journal of the Royal Society for Medicine. 107(4) pp132-133.
- Steele, S. and Worswick, D. (2013) Destination Death: A Review of Australian Legal Regulation Around International Travel to End Life. Journal of Law and Medicine, 21(2), pp 415-28.
- Steele, S. (2013) Human Trafficking, Labor Brokering, and Mining in Southern Africa. International Journal of Health Services, 43(4), pp 665-680.
- Steele, S., Stuckler, D., Basu, S., King, L., and McKee, M. (2011) Politics of chronic disease. Sick Societies: Responding to the Global Challenge of Chronic Disease. OUP: Medicine Series, pp 136-185.
- Steele, S. (2007) "Trafficking in People". Alternative Law Journal, 32, pp 18-21.