Phone number: +44 (0)1223 337041
Dr Rebecca Reich
Rebecca Reich is a University Lecturer in Russian literature and culture.
Rebecca Reich's academic interests include:
- 20th century Russian literature and culture
- Intellectual and cultural history
- The history of science, medicine, print culture, and law.
Dr Reich's first book, The State of Madness: Psychiatric Diagnosis and Literary Dissent After Stalin, is an interdisciplinary study of conceptions of insanity in the Soviet Union from the 1950s to the 1980s.
- BA, Yale.
- PhD, Harvard.
Publications, links and resources
- Reich, R. (2015) Over the Cuckoo’s Nest: Russian Variations on a Psychiatric Theme. In: Psychiatry in Communist Europe, ed, S. Marks and M. Savelli, London: Palgrave MacMillan, pp 196-215.
- Reich, R. (2014) Inside the Psychiatric Word: Diagnosis and Self-Definition in the Late Soviet Period. Slavic Review 73 (3) pp 563–84.
- Reich, R. (2013) Madness as Balancing Act in Joseph Brodsky’s ‘Gorbunov and Gorchakov’. The Russian Review 72 (1) pp 45–65.