Phone number: +44 (0)1223 339420
Professor Peter Garnsey FBA FAHA
Peter Garnsey is an Emeritus Fellow at Jesus College specialising in Greek and Roman Ancient History.
Peter Garnsey's current research projects include:
- History of ideas, with special reference to theories of property, from antiquity to the 19th century
- Diet, nutrition, and health of past populations through the study of human skeletal remains, with special reference to ancient Rome and Italy
- The history of late antiquity.
- MA, Sydney.
- MA, DPhil, Oxford.
The culture of Italy and France, music, sport.
Publications, links and resources
- Thinking About Property, From Antiquity to the Age of Revolution, Cambridge 2007.
- Lactantius, Divine Institutes. Introd/Transl./Notes, Liverpool 2003 (co author).
- Evolution of the Late Antique World, Cambridge 2001 (co author).
- Food and Society in Classical Antiquity, Cambridge 1999.
- Cities, Peasants and Food, Cambridge 1998.
- Ideas of Slavery from Aristotle to Augustine, Cambridge 1996.
- Famine and Food Supply in the Graeco-Roman World, Cambridge 1988.
- The Roman Empire: Society, Economy and Culture, London 1987 (co author).
- Social Status and Legal Privilege in the Roman Empire, Oxford, 1970.
- Cambridge Ancient History, co editor vols. XI (2000), XII (2005), XIII (1998).