Professor Madeleine Arnot
Madeleine Arnot is Emerita Professor of Sociology of Education and a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences.
Madeleine Arnot's academic interests include:
- Migration and education
- The education of refugee/displaced children
- Social inequalities in education
- Gender studies in education.
- MA Hons, Sociology, Edinburgh University.
- PhD, Sociology of Education, Open University.
Awards and prizes
- Fil Doc for her contribution to democratic education, Uppsala University.
- Society for Educational Studies Prize 2011, for Education, Asylum and the 'Non-Citizen' Child: The Politics of Compassion and Belonging.
Madeleine Arnot is committed to promoting social justice through education. She began her career as a sociologist of education at the Open University in 1975 (under the name MacDonald) where she explored the relationship between social class, gender, race and schooling and developed a theory of gender codes. She moved to Cambridge in 1988 and since then she has led EU funded research projects on citizenship identities, masculinity and education and a major five-year empirical research project called Youth, Gender and Citizenship in India, Kenya, Ghana, and Pakistan. She edits the Routledge research series on Education, Poverty and International Development.
Since 2004, she has focused on the impact of global migration on education systems, researching government, professional and school responses to the education of migrant children. She co-founded with Professor Loraine Gelsthorpe the Centre for the Global Human Movement, coordinated the Cambridge Emergency and Displacement Group within the Centre and chaired the Academic Advisory Board for the UNICEF/Cambridge University Press project The Learning Passport for displaced children globally. She has contributed expert advice on the integration of newly arrived children to the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences, the University of Cologne, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and the Children’s Rights Alliance in Ireland.
She is currently writing a book with Dr Halleli Pinson from Ben Gurion University, Israel, on Schooling and the Global Challenge of Child Migration: A Sociological Perspective, and since 2018 she has been a member of the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (DFID) promoting graduate study as a means of global development.
Publications, links and resources
Selected recent publications
- Rose, P., Arnot, M., Jeffery, R. and Singal, N. eds (2020 in press) Reforming Education and Challenging Inequalities in Southern Contexts: reshaping research and policy agendas in international development, London: Routledge.
- Evans, M., Schneider, C. Arnot, M., Fisher, L., Forbes, K., Liu, Y. and Welply, O. (2020) Language Development and Social Integration of Students with English as an Additional Language, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Arnot, M., Schneider, C., Welply, O. eds (2016) Education, Mobilities and Migration: people, ideas and resources, London: Routledge.
- Swartz, S. and Arnot, M. eds (2012) Youth Citizenship and the Politics of Belonging, London: Routledge.
- Arnot, M. ed (2012) The Sociology of Disability and Inclusive Education: a tribute to Len Barton, London: Routledge.
- Pinson, H., Arnot, M. and Candappa, M. (2010) Education, Asylum and the 'Non-Citizen' child: the politics of compassion and belonging, London: Routledge.
- Arnot, M. (2008) Educating the Gendered Citizen: sociological engagements with national and global agendas, London: Routledge.
- Fennell, S. and Arnot, M. eds (2008) Gender Education and Equality in a Global Context: conceptual frameworks and policy perspectives, London: Routledge.
- Moore, M. Arnot, M., Beck, J. and Daniels, H. eds (2006) Knowledge, Power and Social Change: applying the sociology of Basil Bernstein, London: Routledge.
- Arnot, M. and Mairtin Mac an Ghaill, M. eds (2006) Gender and Education Reader, London: Routledge.
- Arnot, M., McIntyre, D., Peddar, D. and Reay, R. (2003) Consultation in the Classroom: pupil perspectives on teaching and learning, Cambridge: Pearson Publishers.
- Arnot, M. (2002) Reproducing Gender? Critical essays on educational theory and feminist politics, London: Routledge.
- Arnot, M. and Dillabough, J. eds (2000) Challenging Democracy? International perspectives on gender, education and citizenship, London: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Arnot, M., David, M., and Weiner, G. (1999) Closing the Gender Gap: post-war education and social change, Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Arnot, M. and Weiler, K. eds (1993) Feminism and Social Justice in Education: international perspectives, Lewes: Falmer Press.