Dr Lauren Marshall
Lauren Marshall is an atmospheric modeller in the Centre for Atmospheric Science. Her research focuses on the climatic effects of volcanic eruptions.
Lauren Marshall’s academic interests include:
- Volcanic eruptions and climate
- Stratospheric aerosol
- Climate modelling.
- BSc Natural Sciences, Durham University.
- MSc Applied Meteorology and Climatology, University of Birmingham.
- PhD Atmospheric Science, University of Leeds.
Lauren Marshall is an atmospheric scientist whose research focuses on the climatic effects of volcanic eruptions. She is particularly interested in how different properties of an eruption may influence the climatic response, such as the amount of gas released by the eruption, the location of the volcano and the emission altitude.
Ongoing research includes investigating the temperature response to large-magnitude volcanic eruptions that have occurred over the last 2000 years and how signals of past volcanic eruptions are preserved in polar ice cores.
Jazz, mountains, and tennis.
Publications, links and resources
- Marshall L, Johnson JS, Mann GW, Lee L, Dhomse SS, Regayre L, Yoshioka M, Carslaw KS, Schmidt A. 2019. Exploring How Eruption Source Parameters Affect Volcanic Radiative Forcing Using Statistical Emulation. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. 124(2), pp. 964-985.
- Marshall L, Schmidt A, Toohey M, Carslaw KS, Mann GW, Sigl M, Khodri M, Timmreck C, Zanchettin D, Ball W, Bekki S, Brooke JSA, Dhomse S, Johnson C, Lamarque J-F, LeGrande A, Mills MJ, Niemeier U, Poulain V, Robock A, Rozanov E, Stenke A, Sukhodolov T, Tilmes S, Tsigaridis K, Tummon F. 2018. Multi-model comparison of the volcanic sulfate deposition from the 1815 eruption of Mt. Tambora. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 18(3), pp. 2307-2328.
- Brooke JSA, Feng W, Carrillo-Sánchez JD, Mann GW, James AD, Bardeen CG, Marshall L, Dhomse SS, Plane JMC. 2017. Meteoric Smoke Deposition in the Polar Regions: A Comparison of Measurements With Global Atmospheric Models. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. 122(20), pp. 11112-11130.
- Zanchettin D, Khodri M, Timmreck C, Toohey M, Schmidt A, Gerber EP, Hegerl G, Robock A, Pausata FSR, Ball WT, Bauer SE, Bekki S, Dhomse SS, LeGrande AN, Mann GW, Marshall L, Mills M, Marchand M, Niemeier U, Poulain V, Rozanov E, Rubino A, Stenke A, Tsigaridis K, Tummon F. 2016. The Model Intercomparison Project on the climatic response to Volcanic forcing (VolMIP): experimental design and forcing input data for CMIP6. Geoscientific Model Development. 9(8), pp. 2701-2719.