Dr Julius Grower
Julius joined Jesus College in 2018 as a College Lecturer and as the Yates Glazebrook Fellow in Law.
Julius’ academic interests include:
- Equity (and in particular those parts of it affecting the law of obligations)
- Commercial law (including the laws of contract, tort, and unjust enrichment as they form part of it)
- Legal history.
- BA, Oxon.
- LLM, UCL.
- PhD, UCL.
Awards and prizes
- Peter Birks Memorial Scholarship, Faculty of Laws, UCL (2016 - 2020).
Julius is an Equity lawyer, with a specific interest in Equity’s role within the law of obligations. His research usually focuses on the interaction between the law of fiduciaries and the laws of contract, tort, and unjust enrichment. He has published papers on agency, fiduciary misfeasance, and constructive trusts. His ongoing research relates to the nature of the trust in Rochefoucauld v Boustead, and, more generally, to the role of the ‘good man’ theory of Equity in modern English law.
Born and raised in Highgate, North London, Julius received his BA from the University of Oxford in 2012 and his LLM from UCL in 2013. In 2014 he was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn. Between 2014 and 2018, he worked as a Teaching Fellow at UCL, where at various times he taught contract law, tort law, commercial law, trusts law, and tax law.
In 2016, as a Peter Birks Memorial Scholar, Julius began writing his thesis – also at UCL – under the supervision of Professors Ben McFarlane and Charles Mitchell. Completed in 2021, the purpose of his PhD was to demystify some of the confusion which surrounds the general understanding of the modern law of breach of fiduciary duty and the modern law of undue influence by explaining that the way in which the courts have understood each of those two doctrines has changed over time.
As an Affiliated Lecturer, Julius forms part of the Cambridge Law Faculty’s Equity, Land, and Commercial Law lecturing teams.
Arsenal Football Club, cricket (watching and playing), poetry, the Groucho Club.
Publications, links and resources
- Grower, J.A.W (2021) The Overlap of Equity and Contract. 137 Law Quarterly Review (forthcoming).
- Grower, J.A.W (2021) What Does it Mean to be a Fiduciary? 80 Cambridge Law Journal 21.
- Grower, J.A.W, and Sherman, O.F (2019) Equivalent to Contract? Confronting the Nature of the Duty Arising under Hedley Byrne v Heller. 135 Law Quarterly Review 177.
- Grower, J.A.W (2018) Book Review: Equity and Administration. Lloyds Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly 185.
- Grower, J.A.W (2018) On the Relations between Agent and Principal: Angove’s Pty Ltd v Bailey. 81 Modern Law Review 141.
- Grower, J.A.W (2016) Explaining the “Pallant v Morgan Equity”. 80 Conveyancer and Property Lawyer 434.