Phone number: +44 (0)1223 339462
Dr Jacob Eisler
Jacob Eisler is a Yates Glazebrook Fellow in Law and a Director of Studies at Jesus College.
Jacob Eisler's academic interests include:
- Election law
- Law of corruption
- Constitutional law
- Political and democratic theory
- Tort law
- Contract law
- Commercial and securities law
- BA English and Political Science, Williams College.
- MPhil Political Thought and Intellectual History, Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge.
- JD, Harvard Law School.
- PhD, Department of Government, Harvard University.
Awards and prizes
- Herbert H Lehman Scholarship, awarded for service to Williams College and wider community.
- Herchel-Smith Fellowship, awarded to fund study at Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
- Donald G Kempf, Jr Scholarship Fund, Harvard Law School scholarship.
- Clerked for The Honorable Gerard E Lynch, Federal Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Jacob Eisler received his BA from Williams College, his MPhil in Political Thought and Intellectual History from Emmanuel College, Cambridge, his JD from Harvard Law School, and his PhD in Political Science from Harvard University. At Harvard he supervised in the Government and Social Studies departments. At Jesus College he has supervised in tort, contract, and jurisprudence.
Prior to joining Jesus College in the fall of 2015, Jacob spent three years practicing transactional corporate law, primarily capital markets, for two leading international English law firms. He also clerked for the Honorable Gerard E. Lynch on the federal Second Circuit Court of Appeals from 2013-2014.
Visual art (particularly Italian Renaissance and early 20th century Futurism), literature and poetry (particularly British Romantic poetry and contemporary American postmodern novels), cross country and fell running.
Publications, links and resources
- Eisler, J. (2011) The Unspoken Institutional Battle over Anticorruption: Citizens United, Honest Services, and the Legislative-Judicial Divide, 9 First Amend. L. Rev. 363.
- Eisler, J. (2016) The Deep Patterns of Campaign Finance Law, 49 Connecticut Law Review 57.
- Eisler, J. (2017) McDonnell and Anti-Corruption's Last Stand, 50 UC Davis Law Review 1619.
- Eisler, J. (forthcoming 2018) Partisan Gerrymandering and the Illusion of Unfairness, 67 Cath. L. Rev. #2.