Professor Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb
Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb is Professor of Applied Mathematics at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP).
Carola is Head of the Cambridge Image Analysis Group (CIA) at DAMTP specialising in the mathematics of digital image and video processing using partial differential equations and variational methods. Our research ranges from the modelling and analysis of such methods to their computational realisation and application.
Moreover, she is the Director of the Cantab Capital Institute for the Mathematics of Information, co director of the EPSRC Centre for Mathematical and Statistical Analysis of Multimodal Clinical Imaging, a Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge and joint leader of the IMAGES network.
- Master’s degree in Mathematics with Honors, University of Salzburg, Austria, 2004.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Girton College, University of Cambridge, 2009.
Awards and prizes
- Whitehead Prize from the London Mathematical Society (LMS), for spectacular contributions to the mathematics of image analysis and inverse imaging problems, 2016.
- EPSRC Science Photo Award, 1st Prize in the Category People, 2013.
- INiTS Award from INiTS (Innovation into Business), Vienna. 3rd Prize in the Category General Technologies, 2010.
- Mary Bradburn Award from the BFWG, 2008.
- Scholarship from the University of Salzburg (Austria) for exceptional achievements as a student, 2004.
- Hans-Stegbuchner-Award from the Department of Mathematics, University of Salzburg (Austria), 2002.
- Professor of Applied Mathematics at Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP), University of Cambridge UK (October 2018 onwards).
- Reader at Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP), University of Cambridge UK (October 2015 to September 2018).
- Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge, UK (October 2011 to present).
- Lecturer at DAMTP, University of Cambridge, UK (September 2010 to October 2015).
- Postdoc at NAM (Institute of Numerical and Applied Mathematics), Georg-August University Goettingen, Germany (September 2009 to September 2010).
- Research Assistant at DAMTP, University of Cambridge (October 2008 to September 2009).
- Research Assistant at the Faculty of Mathematics, University of Vienna, Austria (October 2005 to October 2008).
- Research Assistant at the Department of Mathematics, University of Salzburg, Austria (September 2002 to June 2004).
Running, hiking, dogs.
Publications, links and resources
Watch her talk on Seeing More in Images: A Mathematical Perspective from Step Up! Mathematical Problem-Solving Day for Y12 Girls, 18 April 2016, Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK.
Watch an interview with the Plus Magazine, April 2016: Mathematical moments.