Dr Antiopi Koronaki
Antiopi is an Assistant Professor in Design Computation and Fabrication in the Department of Architecture at the University of Cambridge.
Antiopi Koronaki’s academic interests include:
- Architectural design
- Advanced fabrication
- Computational design
- Complex geometry
- Natural construction materials and biomimetics.
- PhD, University of Bath.
- MSc (Hons), Architectural Association.
- March, National Technical University of Athens.
Awards and prizes
- RIBA International Award for Excellence, Lille Langebro Bridge (2021).
- Supreme Award for Structural Excellence, Institution of Structural Engineers, Lille Langebro Bridge (2021).
- Best Pedestrian Bridge, Institution of Structural Engineers, Lille Langebro Bridge (2021).
- Civic Trust Award, Lille Langebro Bridge (2021).
- The Wood Awards, Shortlisted, Unfolding pavilion (2021).
- Dezeen Awards Installation design, Longlisted, Unfolding pavilion (2021).
- Vice Chancellor’s Award for Online and Remote Engagement, HappyShield (2021).
- Temporary Structure Award, Surface Design Show, Finalist, Fingers Crossed pavilion.
Antiopi Koronaki’s research interests lie at the intersection of architecture, engineering and materials with a focus on advanced fabrication and computational analysis methods for the design and construction of efficient structures.
As a researcher in the Centre for Natural Material Innovation she has explored the potential of engineered timber for off-site manufactured schools in the UK. This approach enables the reduction of the environmental impact of the construction industry through the promotion of natural construction materials and modern methods of construction. She holds a PhD from the University of Bath on the optimisation of large-scale, complex structures for construction. Since 2014 she has been heavily involved in teaching at higher education institution internationally and she has led several international workshops focusing on digital fabrication and design computation. She has industry experience working on the bridge team at Wilkinson Eyre and her work has been exhibited widely, including the London Design Festival and London Design Biennale.
Travel, languages, wine.
Publications, links and resources
- Koronaki, A., Bukauskas, A., Jalia, A., Shah, D.U., and Ramage M., 2021. "Prefabricated Engineered Timber Schools in the United Kingdom: Challenges and Opportunities" Sustainability 13, no. 22: 12864. https://doi.org/10.3390/su132212864
- Bukauskas, A., Koronaki, A., Lee, T.-U., Ott, D., Al, M.W., Jalia, A., Bashford, T., Gatoo, A., Newman, J., Gattas, J., Shah, D.U., Ramage, M., 2021. Curved-crease origami face shields for infection control. PLOS ONE 23. https://doi.org/10.17863/CAM.63809
- Broo, D.G., Lamb, K., Ehwi, R.J., Pärn, E., Koronaki, A., Makri, C., Zomer, T., 2020. Built environment of Britain in 2040: Scenarios and strategies. Sustainable Cities and Society 65, 16. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2020.102645
- Koronaki, A., Shepherd, P., Evernden, M., 2020. Rationalization of freeform space-frame structures: Reducing variability in the joints. International Journal of Architectural Computing 18, 84-99. https://doi.org/10.1177/1478077119894881
- Koronaki, A., Shepherd, P., Evernden, M., 2021. Optimising joint fabrication in large-scale space-frame structures. (Under review)
- Koronaki, A., Shepherd, P., Evernden, M., 2021. Fabrication-aware geometry optimisation of truss structures. (Under review)
Peer-reviewed conference papers
- Koronaki, A., Marino, D., Meng, Y., Shah, D.U., Smith, S., Haggart, K., Ramage, M.H., 2022. Modular engineered timber school buildings across scales, in World Congress on Timber Engineering 2023. (Accepted)
- Debnath, R., Koronaki, A., Marino, D., Meng, Y., Shah, D.U., Smith, S., Haggart, K., Ramage, M.H., 2022. Environmental performance of timber schools for climate action: a data-driven and simulation approach, in World Congress on Timber Engineering 2023. (Accepted)
- Koronaki, A., Bukauskas, A., Gatoo, A., Shah, D.U., Ramage, M.H., 2021. Design space exploration of materially efficient CLT structures, in: IASS Annual Symposium and Spatial Structures Conference. UK.
- Koronaki, A., Shepherd, P., Evernden, M., 2021. Structure and fabrication-driven conceptual design of space-frame structures, in: IASS Annual Symposium and Spatial Structures Conference. UK.
- Gatóo, A., Koronaki, A., Asali, M.W.A., Bukauskas, A., Shah, D.U., Ramage, M.H., 2021. Flexible and sustainable building components through kerf patterns, in: IASS Annual Symposium and Spatial Structures Conference. UK.
- Asali, M.W.A., Koronaki, A., Ramage, M.H., 2021. Computational Design Strategies for Thin-tile Shells Manufacturing, in: IASS Annual Symposium and Spatial Structures Conference. UK.
- Koronaki, A., Jalia, A., Bukauskas, Aurimas, Shah, Darshil U, Ramage, Michael H, 2020. Emerging trends in the applications of engineered timber in UK school buildings, in: Proceedings of WCTE2020. Presented at the World Conference on Timber Engineering, Santiago, Chile.
- Erdine, E., Koronaki, A., Sungur, A., Moreira, A.F.L., Lopez, A., Jeronimidis, G., Weinstock, M., 2019. Curved-Crease Folding and Robotic Incremental Sheet Forming in Design and Fabrication, in: SimAUD: Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design. Atlanta, pp. 207–214. https://doi.org/10.5555/3390098.3390114
- Koronaki, A., Shepherd, P. and Evernden, M. (2018) ‘Geometry optimization of space-frame structures for joint modularity’, in Adriaenssens, S. and Mueller, C. (eds) IASS Annual Symposium: Creativity in Structural Design. Boston: DS Graphics.
- He, L., Gilbert M., Shepherd, P., Ye, J., Koronaki, A., Fairclough, H., Davison, B., Tyas, A., Gondzio, J., Weldeyesus, A. (2018) ‘A new conceptual design optimization tool for frame structures’, in Adriaenssens, S. and Mueller, C. (eds) IASS Annual Symposium: Creativity in Structural Design. Boston: DS Graphics.
- Koronaki, A., Shepherd, P., Evernden, M., (2018) "Application of Conway operators for the topology optimization of space-frame structures", SIAM UKIE National Student Chapter Conference, University of Bath, UK.
- Koronaki, A., Shepherd, P. and Evernden, M. (2017) ‘Layout optimization of space frame structures’, Proceedings of the IASS Annual Symposium 2017 Interfaces: architecture, engineering, science.
- Chandra, S., Körner, A., Koronaki, A., Spiteri, R., Amin, R., Kowli, S., Weinstock, M., 2015. Computing Curved-Folded Tessellations through Straight- Folding Approximation. Symposium of Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design, pp. 221–228.
- Reyes, N., Rodríguez, B., Wiegand, E., Zilic, F., Ramage, M., Bukauskas, A., . . . Ahumada, M. (2021). Achieving zero carbon emissions in the construction sector: The role of timber in decarbonising building structures. Cambridge Open Engage. doi:10.33774/coe-2021-hgd6q-v2
- Debnath, R., Bardhan, R., Shah, D., Koronaki, A., Bukauskas, A., Colman, A., . . . Ramage, M. (2021). Climate repair through built environment: Decarbonising UK’s building sector through energy efficiency and natural materials. Cambridge Open Engage. https://doi.org/10.33774/coe-2021-30w2x
- Ramage, Michael, Darshil U. Shah, Aurimas Bukauskas, Antiopi Koronaki, Anthony Colman, Ana Gatóo, Eduardo Wiegand, Yelda Gin, and Ramit Debnath. “Environmental Audit Committee Call for Evidence: ‘Sustainability of the Built Environment,’” 2021. doi:10.33774/COE-2021-BJTWZ
- Legends vs Modern Icons, Maximus Film, 2020. Documentary series comparing engineering and construction achievements of the past with those of the present. https://www.maximusfilm.de/en/content/legends-vs-modern-icons
- Koronaki, A. (2021, March). Digitally designed timber schools. Construction Manager, 28 - 30. https://constructionmanagermagazine.com/timber-targets-a-green-industrial-revolution/
- Koronaki, A. (ed) 2020. Towards carbon free construction: Cultivating and manufacturing our homes. Centre for Natural Material Innovation, University of Cambridge. Cambridge, United Kindom. https://www.cnmi.org.uk/post/towards-carbon-free-construction-cultivating-and-manufacturing-our-homes
- Gurdur Broo, D., Lamb, K., Ehwi, R., Parn, E., Koronaki, A., Makri, C., & Zomer, T. (2020). Four Futures, One Choice - Options for the Digital Built Britain of 2040. [Book]. https://doi.org/10.17863/CAM.59803
- Koronaki, A., Papalexopoulos, D., Kourkoulas, A. (2014). The apartment block is dead? Long-live the apartment block!, ek-magazine, Vol. 180, March 2014, p.30-35.