Phone number: +44 (0)1223 764857
Dr Michael Waibel
Michael Waibel is a University Senior Lecturer and Co-Deputy Director of the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law.
Michael Waibel's academic interests include:
- International law
- International dispute settlement and arbitration
- International economics and finance.
- Mag. iur. (2003) and Dr. iur. (2008), Universität Wien, Austria.
- MSc Econ (2005) London School of Economics.
- LLM (2008) Harvard Law School.
Awards and prizes
- Déak Prize of the American Society of International Law, 2007.
- Book Prize of the European Society of International Law, 2012.
- Leverhulme Prize, 2014.
Michael Waibel is a University Senior Lecturer in Law and a Fellow of the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law.
His main research interests are public international law and international economic law with a particular focus on finance and the settlement of international disputes. He teaches international law, World Trade Organisation (WTO) law and European Union law.
In 2008, the American Society for International Law awarded him the Francis Deak prize for his American Journal of International Law article Opening Pandora's Box: Sovereign Bonds in International Arbitration.
The European Society of International Law awarded him their 2012 book prize for his monograph Sovereign Defaults before International Courts and Tribunals (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
Michael holds Mag. iur. and Dr. iur. degrees from the Universität Wien, an MSc (Econ) from the LSE and an LLM from Harvard Law School. He is admitted to the New York bar and holds a diploma of the Hague Academy of International Law.
He was previously a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre and a DOC scholar of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. He was a graduate teaching assistant in economics at the LSE and Harvard.
He interned with the European Central Bank, the International Monetary Fund, and the World Bank. Michael is Chair of the ILA study group on sovereign bankruptcy.
Tennis, politics, debating, and mooting.
Publications, links and resources
- Bonnitcha, J., Poulsen L. and Waibel, M. (2017) The Political Economy of the Investment Treaty Regime: Oxford University Press.
- Waibel, M. (2011) Sovereign defaults before International courts and tribunals. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Waibel, M. and others, eds, (2010) The Backlash against Investment Arbitration London: Kluwer Law International.
- Bekker, P.H.F., Dolzer, R. and Waibel, M. (2010) Making transnational law work in the global economy: essays in honour of Detlev Vagts Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Waibel, M. (2011) Demystifying the Art of Interpretation. 22 European Journal of International Law 22, 571.
- Waibel, M. (2014) Steering sovereign debt restructurings through the CDS quicksand. Journal of Banking Regulation 15, 14.
- Waibel, M. (2007) Opening Pandora's Box: Sovereign Bonds in International Arbitration. American Journal of International Law 101, 711.
- Waibel, M. (2007) Two worlds of necessity in ICSID arbitration: CMS vs. LG&E. Leiden Journal of International Law 20, 637.
Further publications are available on the Social Science Research Network.