Call for alumni teams for ‘Virtual May Bumps'
Much of Cambridge life is moving online, including a version of this year’s May Bumps. With the Cam and rowing off limits, a socially distanced competition is being set up in place of the Mays, which includes an additional division for alumni.
The basic format of the event, which will be held from 24 to 27 June, is as follows:
- Teams of 9 (Women’s side allowed one male “Cox” or vice versa, mixed teams also possible).
- Each member of a team records their time to run 800m each day of "bumps".
- The individual times are entered into an computer algorithm in a relay. This will run each evening to reveal when teams bump, over-bump, or row over.
- In the alumni division the first bumps chart will be created by randomising teams in categories of Men’s side, Women’s side, and mixed teams.
- Whilst there will be an online live event, for convenience runners can complete their event at any point in a 24 hour period.
- Fundraising for the East Anglia Children’s Hospice.
If you would be interested in participating, further information and entry forms for teams can be found on the event website. If you would like to take part but are without a team please email Poppy Hill, JCBC President and Women’s Captain, and she can help you put together a team.
Alternatively, for those who don’t wish to row but would love to follow the races as a spectator, the website will show the progress of the Jesus crew!