Tom Parkinson Travel Grants
Jesus College offers exciting travel opportunities for current students and young alumni, made possible thanks to a generous donation from the family of alumnus Tom Parkinson (1997).
The Parkinson family made a gift in Tom’s memory to help young travel writers build a career, which enabled the College to launch two distinct schemes.
- The Tom Parkinson Travel Writing Bursary offers a young Jesus College graduate £2,500 to travel while developing the skills and experience needed to further their travel writing career. The first award should be applied for via the application form below or completed on Qualtrics by 31 January 2023.
- The Tom Parkinson Travel Grants offers current students up to four travel grants of £500. Full details of the annual grants are available on the Funds and Bursaries page on JNet; they should be applied for in Lent Term each year.
Eligibility for the Tom Parkinson Travel Writing Bursary
- Applicants should be recent Jesus College graduates (defined as no more than 5 years post-graduation) or young alumni (defined as up to the age of 25 years) intending to pursue, or actively pursuing, a career in travel writing.
- Applicants must propose a travel project leading to a piece for publication in either digital or print media.
- The proposed travel must have a positive and specific purpose, but does not have to be related to the applicant’s course at Cambridge.
Applications for the Tom Parkinson Travel Writing Bursary will be considered twice each academic year. In 2022-23, the deadlines for applications are 31 January 2023 and 30 April 2023.
Those interested in applying for a travel award are encouraged to read more about Tom and his passion for travel on his family’s website.